When I played with the Windows Phone 7 Samsung developer-phone last month, I noticed that Windows Phone 7 didn’t include a weather app. Apple includes a weak one for the iPhone. Google provides the “News & Weather” applet/widget starting with Android OS 2.2. It doesn’t look like Microsoft is going to provide an integrated weather app, but it looks like The Weather Channel has solved my missing app problem.
The Weather Channel app for Windows Phone 7 is available for free from the Windows Phone Marketplace (it is ad supported) and provides the following features:
– Animated, interactive maps can be customized by weather layers such as radar and clouds, temperature, wind speed and recent precipitation
– Detailed weather data in hourly, 36-hour and 10-day forecasts, as well as current conditions including temperature, wind, humidity, UV level, dew point, visibility, sunrise and sunset
– A panoramic view screen and background weather images, the app is visually attractive and takes advantag of Microsoft’s new user interface capabilities
– Traffic cameras for local roads and highways (for supported markets)
– Share weather information via e-mail to keep friends updated on weather effects
– Save favorite locations for quick access to the most relevant weather
– Video center with local and regional forecasts featuring TWC on-camera meteorologists
– A severe weather center with updates on tropical systems, winter weather and more
I’m planning to install this app shortly after I get my Windows Phone 7 device.