Ticular listed the following adjustments that it believes should be made to the current Facebook formula for engagement rate, which is total engagement (likes plus comments plus shares), divided by number of fans, times 100:
- Comments, likes, and multimedia should carry different weights in calculating engagement.
- The number of times a Facebook user replays a video should be factored in.
- The formula should take into account when users view photos in full-screen mode.
- The number of times users tag content should be included.
- Engagement by users who have not already liked the brand should be included.
- There should be an adjustment for percentage of fans reached.
- Is people talking about this synonymous with shares?
- Negative threads can draw huge totals of likes, comments, and shares.
- The emerging metrics for negative feedback cannot detect sarcasm.