Happy third birthday to Instagram, which launched Oct. 6, 2010. While the photo-sharing network’s milestones include its September 2012 acquisition by Facebook for $715 million and reaching 150 million monthly active users last month, Instagram shared its 10 favorite moments over the past three years.
- From Indonesia to Russia to Louisiana, we bonded at InstaMeets, bringing local Instagram communities together.
- We couldn’t help but feel patriotic when our first lady and the White House joined Instagram this year. They kicked off their account in style by documenting a trip to Africa.
- Users like Drew Kelly and AP Photographer David Guttenfelder traveled across borders to bring us all into some of the most elusive places on earth, sharing candid images of life inside North Korea.
- Last year, Instagram became a driving force in celebrating the 2012 Summer Olympic Games for everyone around the world. Anyone could get in on the action, whether they traveled to London or cheered on their countries from home.
- Instagrammers proudly flocked to their accounts to make their opinions heard on same-sex marriage during the Supreme Court deliberations (#scotus).
- Over the past three years we watched major events unfold. From the protests in Egypt to Hurricane Sandy, Instagrammers were there.
- Thousands took to Instagram to bid farewell to Pope Benedict and document the election of Pope Francis at the Vatican.
- When Instagram launched video this year, we opened a new door for artists, celebrities, brands, and everyday users to express themselves. We’ve been blown away by the creativity so far, like stop motion fun from Rachel Ryle, collaborative video projects from Lexus, and even Jay-Z, who filmed a music video with other artists inside Pace gallery.
- We hit the catwalk and strutted our stuff at Fashion Week. Designers, models, makeup artists, and more took to Instagram to share behind-the-scenes looks with photos and video.
- And most recently, we all were given the opportunity to fly to the moon when NASA joined Instagram.
Readers: What do you think Instagram’s most significant moment was over its first three years?
Birthday candles image courtesy of Shutterstock.