The site has more than 150 million monthly active users and continues to grow.
Instagram shared with Inside Facebook some key moments from the past three years:
- From Indonesia to Russia to Louisiana, we bonded at InstaMeets, bringing local Instagram communities together.
- We couldn’t help but feel patriotic when our First Lady & The White House joined Instagram this year. They kicked off their account in style by documenting a trip to Africa.
- Users like Drew Kelly and AP photographer David Guttenfelder traveled across borders to bring us all into some of the most elusive places on earth, sharing candid images of life inside North Korea.
- Last year, Instagram became a driving force in celebrating the Summer 2012 Olympics for everyone around the world. Anyone could get in on the action whether they traveled to London or cheered on their countries from home.
- Instagrammers proudly flocked to their accounts to make their opinions heard on same-sex marriageduring the Supreme Court deliberations (#scotus).
- Over the past three years we watched major events unfold – from the protests in Egypt to Hurricane Sandy, Instagrammers were there.
- Thousands took to Instagram to bid farewell to Pope Benedict and document the election of the Pope Francis at the Vatican.
- When Instagram launched video this year, we opened a new door for artists, celebrities, brands and everyday users to express themselves. We’ve been blown away by the creativity so far like stop motion fun from Rachel Ryle, collaborative video projects from Lexus and even Jay-Z who filmed a music video with other artists inside Pace gallery.
- We hit the catwalk and strutted our stuff at Fashion Week. Designers, models, makeup artists and more took to Instagram to share behind the scenes looks with photos and video.
- And most recently we all were given the opportunity to fly to the moon when NASA joined Instagram.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.