Russia may have topped the medal count for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, held on its home soil, in Sochi, but when it comes to official Olympic sponsors, Visa took top honors, according to a study by social marketing platform Engagor.
Findings by Engagor — which monitored Olympics-related social buzz from Feb. 7 through 24 for sponsors including Visa, Omega, Samsung, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, GE, Panasonic, Dow Chemical, Procter & Gamble, and Atos — included:
- Visa was tops with more than 78,000 brand mentions, followed by Omega (77,355), and Samsung (72,536).
- Visa also dominated in terms of engagement with fans’ posts, responding to nearly 5,200 of them, dwarfing second-place Coca-Cola at 983.
- 42 percent of Olympics-related conversation took place via mobile devices.
- The top sponsor post on Facebook was the one pictured above, from Omega.
- The U.S. was by far the dominant country in terms of engagement, at 73 percent, with no other nation reaching double-digits.
Readers: Did you engage on Facebook during the 2014 Winter Olympics?