Aside from shopping, the holiday season is also a peak travel time, and Expedia Media Solutions, Expedia’s ad-sales unit, looked at how the industry should approach 2015 from an advertising standpoint.
The takeaways from Expedia Media Solutions were:
- The fastest growth will come from social and video commercial channels.
- In 2013, the number of travelers who used online video for planning increased 10 percent year-over-year.
- Social and video ad budgets will nearly triple between 2011 and 2014, accounting for 18 percent of all digital dollars.
- 84 percent of travel advertisers are currently using or experimenting with Facebook page photos or link photos.
- 68 percent of travel advertisers say Facebook ads are at least moderately effective, while 53 percent rank Foursquare as the least effective form of social advertising.
- 46 percent of ad buyers find social extremely or very effective for generating brand awareness.
- In the coming year, 30 percent of advertisers plan to experiment or adopt Twitter‘s lead-generation cards, while 28 percent will look to Google Plus or Pinterest.
- 33 percent of advertisers are currently using targeting or retargeting technologies, while 12 percent of advertisers are currently experimenting with these methods.