How Mobile Devices Kept Sandy Survivors Connected to Their Jobs

By Devon Glenn 

Did you get any work done in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy? SocialTimes polled 205 Sandy survivors to find out how people got back to work after losing power in their homes and offices. Where computers and laptops failed, many people used their phones or tablets to work remotely.

We used Ask Your Target Market to find adults in the northeast who did not make it into the office following the storm. Of those who responded to the survey, 87 percent said that their offices were closed; the remaining 13 percent were unable to get to work because of road closures or loss of mass transit.

Overall, only 19 percent of respondents were asked to work on October 29th and 30th while the storm passed. When asked if their employers required them to work remotely from a home computer, laptop, or other mobile device during this time, 19 percent of respondents said yes, 64.3 percent said no, and 16.5 percent said it was optional.

The results got interesting when we asked these people how they connected to the Internet after losing power in their offices and homes — more than 42 percent said that they used a mobile device rather than trying to plug in their laptops at a friend’s house or at an internet cafe. (The real number is slightly higher due to a tablet user who checked “other.”)  Also in the “other” category, some people went to fast food chains and even Target to get wi-fi, while others didn’t bother going online at all.

More than 70 percent of workers said they lost 2 days of work or more as a result of the storm. It was paid time off for most people: more than 12 percent took a personal or sick day and 56 percent were given the time off without having it count toward their total PTO, but 27 percent of respondents were not compensated for their lost time at work and more than 4 percent were freelancers who normally do not get paid time off, anyway.

As for productivity levels,  more than 52 percent of our Sandy survivors said they were about as productive working remotely as they were at work, and 15 percent said they were even more productive as a result.

Were they being honest? This infographic from Mindjet shows how checking social media sites and watching movies on Netflix were popular activities among the 8.2 million-plus customers who lost power on October 30. Electricity gradually returned for these people through November 6.

By November 7, more than 73 percent of the people we polled said they had the power restored to their homes and offices. We’re crossing our fingers for the remaining 6.3 percent whose power was still down at work, the 11.2 percent who were still waiting for power in their homes, and the 9.2 percent who were waiting for both.

Ask Your Target Market provided SocialTimes with the tools for the survey. is the leading innovator in DIY online market research. Simply define your target audience from our built-in panels of almost 4.5 million people, write your survey in our easy to use, intuitive survey editor, launch it and see results streaming back usually within minutes (24x7x365). AYTM’s delivers your results to a robust analytics page for creating beautiful reports, cross tab capabilities with Excel, PDF and Power Point exports included. No subscription fees, only pay when you use our panel and If you have your own list, it’s completely free. White label package available. Our Client Happiness Team is ready to help you every step of the way!”