The method of consuming video is changing every day. That’s why we cover web video so often here at Social Times — massive viewership and increasing ad rates are turning what was once just a diversion into a surprising business. Along with web video, we’re seeing new methods of augmenting your standard TV or film watching experience through the creative use of tablets and mobile phones. And at this point, nobody is doing it better than HBO with their HBO Go service. Today they announced some cool new features for the upcoming Game of Thrones Season 2 premiere.
The service, which will be launched on April 1st, will allow users to use interactive elements on their HBO Go app on their iPad as they watch full-length episodes of the show. They’ve called it an “alert feed”, which I have to say is an odd choice for the service. In any case, this alert feed provides you with notifications of special content as you’re watching a show — let’s say a new character appears in a scene, a small pop up will let you click on it and find out more about the character themselves. That is a very cool service and using Game of Thrones as a vehicle was a wise choice – users can’t go deep enough into the world of Westeros.
The service also allows you to post status updates directly to Facebook and Twitter as you watch the show. There’s a lot more to the app, so check out the video below and list of features below that.
- Cast/crew commentaries with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, and more
- Behind the scenes interviews with the cast and crew
- Descriptions of new characters as they come into a scene
- Info alerts providing back stories on specific scenes and character relationships
- Detailed set photos and concept art from the series design team
- Quotes from series that can be shared through social media
- A map with key locations pinpointed
- A guide to Game of Thrones houses