Data: 37% of Global iPhone Users Use iPhone 5S or Older

By Brandy Shaul Comment

Ahead of Apple’s rumored announcement of the 4-inch iPhone SE, marketing platform AppLovin analyzed global iPhone usage on its network to discover how many users are still using Apple’s smaller iPhone devices.

According to its data, as of February 2016, 37 percent of iPhone users were using an iPhone 5S or older device. The other 63 percent of iPhone users have moved on to the iPhone 6/6 Plus and iPhone 6S/6S Plus.

AppLovin iPhone Screen Size

In a blog post, John Krystynak, founder of AppLovin, offered three potential explanations for why users are still using iPhones with screens four inches in size or less:

  1. There’s always a faction that buys a new larger model and then gets so frustrated with the size that they revert to their previous model.
  2. There’s the group that delays upgrading at all because they already know they just don’t want a larger phone (think of those who bought 5S models in 2013, have two-year plans, could have upgraded to a larger phone, but didn’t).
  3. Older models are more affordable—especially in developing countries where incomes are lower.

Elsewhere, Localytics, an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, has released its own data analyzing the market share of multiple iPhone models. According to its data, the iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C account for 33 percent of the iPhone market, with the iPhone 5S specifically accounting for 19 percent of iPhones. Overall, Localytics found the iPhone 5S is second only to the iPhone 6, which has 32 percent of the market share.

Localytics iPhone Market Share

In a blog post, Caitlin O’Connell, marketing research analyst at Localytics, said:

Apple may be hoping to benefit from the success of the iPhone 5S by essentially creating an updated version of it. Since the biggest differentiator may be that the iPhone SE has all the upgrades of the current models but in a compacted form, there is a big upgrade opportunity for consumers who are holding on to the older models and are reluctant to change to a larger device.

Readers: Do you prefer smaller or larger smartphones?

Featured image courtesy of Denys Prykhodov / Shutterstock.com.

Advertisement
Advertisement