Syfy has a target audience in mind: people with a shared mindset of curiosity, optimism, creativity and open-mindedness that drives them to take risks, push boundaries and challenge the status quo. They call these people—who are the first to find and try new things and share those finds with others—”Igniters.”
Coming off its most-watched year ever (averaging 1.2 million viewers in prime time), Syfy will use its original programs to lead the way across the week. These include the upcoming premiere of Defiance, a scripted drama that takes place on a transformed planet Earth inhabited by survivors of a universal war. What makes Defiance different is that it will debut simultaneously with a multi-platform massively multiplayer game. The series and game will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story. Returning series include Alphas (Syfy’s reinvented superhero show), Being Human (supernatural drama), Face Off (special effects make-up competition/elimination series), Haven (based on the novella The Colorado Kid by Stephen King) and Warehouse 13 (Syfy’s most successful series ever).
- 31 Days of Halloween: A month of thrilling movies and series
- Imagination Month: This May, Syfy celebrates the 7 billion imaginations on the planet across all its platforms
- Summer of Imagination: Premieres and returns of the hit series Alphas, Face Off and Warehouse 13
- Syfy 20th Anniversary: In December, Syfy celebrates the last 20 years and looks ahead to what’s to come
Founded in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, Syfy is celebrating its 20th anniversary by embracing the innovation of Igniters. What exactly is an Igniter? To develop the psychographic profile, Syfy has used both Simmons data and a custom study conducted with PSFK. Simmons demonstrates that Igniters are the first to find, try and buy new products and then influence the masses to do the same. The PSFK study adds that Igniters are a powerful force in today’s market because portability and social media have given rise to new tools.
Syfy offers a number of integrated options that align its on-air broadcasts with online content. New this year is Syfy Sync, Syfy’s live two-screen app which uses audio content recognition to allow viewers to access exclusive content at various points in Syfy shows and socialize it instantly. Syfy Everywhere provides viewers exclusives and full episodes of their favorite shows anytime, anywhere from any device, and will soon be released on Xbox. Syfy Games is a library featuring more than 40 free games, from casual to massively multiplayer; sponsor integration into social games is available. Finally, Syfy Social provides unique social experiences 52 weeks a year via Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
In 2011, Syfy.com had its best year ever in terms of uniques (3.7 million) and page views (30 million), per Omniture. The channel has 6.3 million Facebook fans and 3.6 million Twitter followers (internal tracking).
Audience & Reach
- Syfy is in 98 million homes. (Nielsen)
- Syfy is the best place to reach Igniters. (Simmons)
- The gender skew of the channel is 56% male and 44% female. (Nielsen)
- 47% of Syfy’s audience is A25-54; 42% falls into the A18-49 demographic. (Nielsen)
- Syfy’s original programs rank in the Top 10 in their respective timeslots. (Nielsen)
- Among 18-34s, Syfy posted double-digit gains for both men (17%) and women (21%) in Q1 2012 compared to Q1 2011. (Nielsen)
- Syfy has been a Top 10 network for 17 years consecutively. (Nielsen)
1221 Ave. of the Americas
31st and 32nd Floors
New York, NY 10020
VP , Syfy Ad Sales
VP Sales, Eastern Region