A decade ago, the first high-definition networks hit cable. Now HD is the norm and in-home 3D is the next frontier. 3net, a joint venture of Sony Corp., Discovery Communications and IMAX Corp., is the nation’s first fully programmed, 24/7 3D network and production studio. 3net is the premier in-home destination and brand leader in the emerging 3D television space. The channel is constantly expanding upon its core partner DNA—the passion of Sony, the authenticity of Discovery, the rush of IMAX—premiering “first-ever-in-3D,” event-driven television content.
3net closed out its first year with the most ambitious rollout of 3D programming in television history, premiering original documentaries, live-action reality series, mixed martial arts fighting, natural history, kids animation, short-form sketch comedy and more.
As the top advocate of 3D television, 3net and its partner companies recently released “The 3D Production Guide,” featuring stereoscopic expertise from top producers and technical advisors, as well as the most comprehensive tools and resources available in the 3D production community today.
- Bullproof: First native 3D “sportumentary” series
- Three Dee Kids: First dedicated kids 3D programming block
- Scary Tales: First 3D “docu-fable” series
- Fields of Valor: The Civil War: First native 3D war documentary series
- Indianapolis 500: First 3D coverage of America’s Greatest Race
3net features the most extensive library of made-for-television 3D content in the world, including genres that are most appealing in 3D such as natural history, documentary, action/adventure, travel, history, kids and family, lifestyle and cuisine, concerts, movies, scripted series and more.
For example, to capture the attention of sports fans with adrenaline-filled series and specials, High Octane allows audiences to travel the world while featuring some of the most accomplished athletes.
Natural history and documentary programming fulfills the 3net promise for quality storytelling combined with compelling visuals, including the award-winning 3D miniseries Fields of Valor: The Civil War, which offers intimate accounts of the brave men on the front lines as told through parallel stories from each side of the war.
The kids and family genre includes original series and family-friendly feature films in prime time and weekends with shows like Dream Defenders, Puppy Bowl 3D and Bugs! A Rainforest Adventure.
The channel also airs blockbuster 3D films and entertainment specials from partners Sony and IMAX.
3net offers a wide range of integrated advertising and sponsorship opportunities: customized original 3D on-air creative, client product integrations and branded original 3D short-form—all integrated with 3net.com as well as the network’s extensive social media outreach.
Audience & Reach
- 3net is currently available to 19 million homes via DIRECTV channel 107.
- Programming and promotional content is also available for download on 3D consoles and devices via Sony PlayStation, Sony Entertainment Network’s video platform and the Nintendo 3DS.
- The channel is tailored to core Early Adopter/Early Majority consumers ages 25-49, with a wide variety of family-friendly content.
- 3net was awarded a prestigious Lumiere for achievement in electronic broadcast at the International 3D Society’s 2012 Creative Arts Awards.
President, Ad Sales
Sony Pictures Television
SVP, Ad Sales
Sony Pictures Television