Keith Olbermann Announces Launch Date for New Show on Current TV | Adweek
Advertisement

Olbermann's Big Reveal

Current TV show will be called—surprise!—Countdown With Keith Olbermann
Advertisement

After three months of radio silence, former MSNBC commentator Keith Olbermann made a “special announcement” earlier this morning about his upcoming show on Current TV.

“I wanted to go somewhere where I could expand on and enlarge upon the work I’d already done—a place where journalistic integrity and analytical honesty would never be compromised by corporate synergy,” Olbermann said in a video statement posted to his personal website, Foknewschannel.com. “I found that place in Current TV.”

Olbermann said that the new show will retain the same title as his old MSNBC program, Countdown With Keith Olbermann (“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” he said in the video), and that it will premiere Monday, June 20 at 8 p.m.

Olbermann had heretofore been extremely tight-lipped about the details of his program, saying only that he would have a new show set to start airing in late spring.

The Current TV show comes three months after Olbermann was fired from his post hosting Countdown on MSNBC, two years into a four-year contract, and despite the fact that he was at the time the network’s highest-rated host. His dismissal came just before Comcast’s official takeover of NBC and amid years of tension with network executives.