Up Late With Alec Baldwin has been canceled, Baldwin's publicist Matthew Hiltzik and the network, MSNBC, said on Wednesday. The show's run on the NBCU news cabler was brief but undignified: Baldwin was caught on camera by a papparazzo attacking the photog with an apparent anti-gay slur (Baldwin contends he said "fathead," which seemed unlikely to GLAAD) after just a few weeks on the air. The show premiered on Oct. 11; Baldwin was suspended Nov. 15. “We are jointly confirming that Up Late will not continue on MSNBC," Hiltzik told Adweek by email.
EW first reported the news this afternoon.
Baldwin has made headlines with outbursts in the past—an angry voicemail to his daughter got him into gossip mags in 2007, though Ireland Baldwin said last year that what disturbed her more was the media frenzy over the call. The actor/pundit got into a Twitter spat with a Daily Mail journalist in June in which he chose his words poorly ("toxic little queen" was the epithet that caused a stir).
Perhaps best-known in recent years for his stint as Jack Donaghy on the NBC sitcom 30 Rock, the actor has bounced between public adoration for his acting work and public flogging for his quick temper. While we'll never get to see the show come into its own, that may not be the end of civilization: Ratings declined from 654,000 total viewers for the weekly show's premiere, an interview with New York mayor-elect Bill DeBlasio, to 395,000 for the fifth and last.