The latest New York Times digital application was announced today, Times Skimmer. The newspaper describes it as providing "online readers with the layout and experience of paging through a newspaper, making it easy to browse through headlines and discover stories deep within sections of the Web site."
It displays a collection of headlines and short summaries of articles in a "grid layout."
A release states: "The application is designed to fit and move for optimal viewing on different screen sizes and browsers. Readers can select from seven different display options to choose the layout that best meets their interests and preferences."
The display options include:
* Stories displayed in a grid.
* Content displayed based on editorial ranked feeds.
* Headlines displayed in a list.
* Content presented in the classic typeface Helvetica.
* Content displayed against a black background.
* Headlines and brief summaries displayed in a wrap-around format.
* Headlines, bylines and brief summaries displayed in a design similar to word magnets for refrigerators.
"Times Skimmer presents the news in an elegant and interesting way that brings the serendipity that readers appreciate from the newspaper to NYTimes.com," Denise Warren, senior vp and chief advertising officer of The New York Times Media Group, said in a statement. "With this application, we are giving our online readers another way to view the latest news and updates in a choice of formats that best suit their preferences."
See it here.
Nielsen Business Media