LOS ANGELES -- The California Lottery commission has postponed voting on whether Foote, Cone & Belding should be granted a five-year, $125 million ad account, a lottery representative said.
The shop had been named the winning bidder on July 31, pending approval from the commission. A lottery representative said the vote is now scheduled for Sept. 10, to allow the state's legal office to review a protest filed last week by DDB in Los Angeles. The grounds of that protest were undisclosed. When DDB filed its intent to protest, sources attributed it to a dispute over information provided by FCB San Francisco and Initiative Media North America in Los Angeles about media costs [Adweek, Aug. 12].
FCB San Francisco president Ian Beavis said that while the postponement was disappointing, he added: "You've got to give credence to the protest." FCB has been asked to provide additional information to the lottery prior to the Sept. 10 meeting, Beavis said.
DDB officials declined comment.