Hot List 2012: Digital Winners
Executive of the Year
This is the year Dick Costolo killed the “Fail Whale.” The symbol of Twitter outages was MIA when the social net could well have been KO’d: New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, election night. Instead, on each occasion, Twitter handled a crazy volume of tweets (327,452 per minute on election night) and turned those tent-pole events into company milestones. (Twitter now boasts a half-billion accounts.) Costolo brushes off the notion that his is a media company—this, though he seems to have built one on the backs of other media players, and done so in a way that attracts partnerships with those would-be rivals. Deftly done, Dick.
- 50 Creatives Whose Brilliant Ideas and Beautiful Craft Will Make You Jealous
- Adweek's Creative 100: Meet the Top Thinkers, Makers and Doers in Marketing and Media
- Verizon Has Reportedly Bought Yahoo for $4.8 Billion
- Ad of the Day: Samsung Combines the World's Anthems Into One Beautiful Song for Rio 2016
- The Best Ad Strategy for Pokemon Go Might Not Be What You Think