Hot List 2012: Digital Winners
Executive of the Year
This is the year Dick Costolo killed the “Fail Whale.” The symbol of Twitter outages was MIA when the social net could well have been KO’d: New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, election night. Instead, on each occasion, Twitter handled a crazy volume of tweets (327,452 per minute on election night) and turned those tent-pole events into company milestones. (Twitter now boasts a half-billion accounts.) Costolo brushes off the notion that his is a media company—this, though he seems to have built one on the backs of other media players, and done so in a way that attracts partnerships with those would-be rivals. Deftly done, Dick.
- 9 Interesting and Fun Digital Marketing Stats From the Past Week
- Vice Launches Its First Female-Focused Content Hub, Broadly
- Why Amazon Says It Doesn't Care 'What Netflix Is Doing'
- How Advertisers Are Getting on Board With Imgur, a Pinterest for the Millennial Male
- In Clever Drone Stunt, Fantastic 4's Human Torch Comes to Life and Flies Around New York