Hot List 2012: Digital Winners
Executive of the Year
This is the year Dick Costolo killed the “Fail Whale.” The symbol of Twitter outages was MIA when the social net could well have been KO’d: New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, election night. Instead, on each occasion, Twitter handled a crazy volume of tweets (327,452 per minute on election night) and turned those tent-pole events into company milestones. (Twitter now boasts a half-billion accounts.) Costolo brushes off the notion that his is a media company—this, though he seems to have built one on the backs of other media players, and done so in a way that attracts partnerships with those would-be rivals. Deftly done, Dick.
- Agency Tries to Make an Ad That's All but Unskippable as YouTube Preroll
- These 5 Dynamic Duos Are Nailing Digital Marketing
- BuzzFeed Video Is Trying to Change the Definition of Branded Content
- Ad of the Day: Shifting Gears, Smart Makes the Biggest City Car Ever
- Real-Time Marketing Isn't Just About Twitter