Hot List 2012: Digital Winners
Executive of the Year
This is the year Dick Costolo killed the “Fail Whale.” The symbol of Twitter outages was MIA when the social net could well have been KO’d: New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, election night. Instead, on each occasion, Twitter handled a crazy volume of tweets (327,452 per minute on election night) and turned those tent-pole events into company milestones. (Twitter now boasts a half-billion accounts.) Costolo brushes off the notion that his is a media company—this, though he seems to have built one on the backs of other media players, and done so in a way that attracts partnerships with those would-be rivals. Deftly done, Dick.
- Organic Food Snobs Are Unknowingly Fed McDonald's, and They're Lovin' It
- Infographic: What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Brand
- Brad Pitt Dodges Insults to Make a Charity Pitch on Zach Galifianakis' Between Two Ferns
- GoPro Ad With Toddlers Sledding Is the Most Adorable 30 Seconds You'll Watch Today
- Agency Gives You Free Beer for Filling Out Your Timesheets, Because Nothing Else Ever Works