Hot List 2012: Digital Winners
Executive of the Year
This is the year Dick Costolo killed the “Fail Whale.” The symbol of Twitter outages was MIA when the social net could well have been KO’d: New Year’s Eve, the Super Bowl, election night. Instead, on each occasion, Twitter handled a crazy volume of tweets (327,452 per minute on election night) and turned those tent-pole events into company milestones. (Twitter now boasts a half-billion accounts.) Costolo brushes off the notion that his is a media company—this, though he seems to have built one on the backs of other media players, and done so in a way that attracts partnerships with those would-be rivals. Deftly done, Dick.
- Leave It to a Laxative Brand to Make the Year's Most Uncomfortable Ad
- Ad of the Day: Every Wave Is Your First in Samsung's Lovely Celebration of Surfing
- Japanese Toyota Ad With Dancing Gorilla Is So Preposterous, It's Actually Great
- Agencies Dissect Foursquare's Makeover
- Family Kicked Off Southwest Flight After Father Tweeted Complaint