Trailer Mash 08-24-12Robots, apparitions, even an actor or two: this week's new movies judged by their previews
- 1 of 6
See all this week's opening movies in a 60-second mashup here.
Does Tom "Draco Malfoy" Felton have a career beyond Harry Potter? He wasn't terribly persuasive in last year's Planet of the Apes reboot, but then, neither were James Franco or Freida Pinto. With no disrespect to Andy Serkis, you could have cast a cardboard cutout of Curious George as the superchimp Caeser and he would have been nowhere near the worst actor on screen. But in the trailer for The Apparition, Felton is entirely agreeable as the nerdy type whose curiosity triggers the titular monster into action. The trailer promises lots of original effects and scares, the more so since the premise is such a good one and so obvious you can't believe it hasn't been done before: If you believe in evil, it becomes real, or as the tagline has it, "Once you believe, you die." Like a hipster Freddy Krueger movie, this seems to be a suitable diversion for self-aware post-Potter teenagers. Even the top YouTube quote is friendly: "Enough with the Harry Potter jokes guys. Siriusly." Zing.
- Ad of the Day: Gatorade's Epic Farewell to Derek Jeter Will Be Tough to Beat
- As Scotland Counts Votes, Groundskeeper Willie Offers Himself Up as the Nation's Leader
- Awesome Beer Cans Show the Pantone Color of the Brew That's Inside
- Ad of the Day: Proud New Yorkers (and a Few Other Familiar Faces) Tip Their Hats to Derek Jeter
- See How Droga5 Actually Made the Insanely Intricate Sets for Moto's New Ads