Trailer Mash 08-24-12Robots, apparitions, even an actor or two: this week's new movies judged by their previews
- 1 of 6
See all this week's opening movies in a 60-second mashup here.
Does Tom "Draco Malfoy" Felton have a career beyond Harry Potter? He wasn't terribly persuasive in last year's Planet of the Apes reboot, but then, neither were James Franco or Freida Pinto. With no disrespect to Andy Serkis, you could have cast a cardboard cutout of Curious George as the superchimp Caeser and he would have been nowhere near the worst actor on screen. But in the trailer for The Apparition, Felton is entirely agreeable as the nerdy type whose curiosity triggers the titular monster into action. The trailer promises lots of original effects and scares, the more so since the premise is such a good one and so obvious you can't believe it hasn't been done before: If you believe in evil, it becomes real, or as the tagline has it, "Once you believe, you die." Like a hipster Freddy Krueger movie, this seems to be a suitable diversion for self-aware post-Potter teenagers. Even the top YouTube quote is friendly: "Enough with the Harry Potter jokes guys. Siriusly." Zing.
- Marketing Director MediaDC Washington, DC
- Daily Part-Time Reporter Courthouse News Service Fairfax, VA
- GM/Biz Dev head Mobile Media Start up Targeted Digital Video Company San Francisco, CA
- Digital Strategies Coordinator IslandWood Bainbridge Island, WA
- Account Executive- Healthcare PR and Social Media Berry & Company Public Relations New York, NY
- David Beckham Invites You to Travel the World, Drinking His Scotch, in Ad From Guy Ritchie
- Without Condoms, Threesome Night Becomes Puzzle Night in This Odd French PSA
- The Adweek 50: Meet the Real Movers and Shakers Behind the World's Top Brands
- Job-Hunting Creatives Disguise Their Portfolio as a Copy of Lürzer's Archive
- Here's Why Facebook Never Created a 'Dislike' Button