Trailer Mash 08-24-12Robots, apparitions, even an actor or two: this week's new movies judged by their previews
- 1 of 6
See all this week's opening movies in a 60-second mashup here.
Does Tom "Draco Malfoy" Felton have a career beyond Harry Potter? He wasn't terribly persuasive in last year's Planet of the Apes reboot, but then, neither were James Franco or Freida Pinto. With no disrespect to Andy Serkis, you could have cast a cardboard cutout of Curious George as the superchimp Caeser and he would have been nowhere near the worst actor on screen. But in the trailer for The Apparition, Felton is entirely agreeable as the nerdy type whose curiosity triggers the titular monster into action. The trailer promises lots of original effects and scares, the more so since the premise is such a good one and so obvious you can't believe it hasn't been done before: If you believe in evil, it becomes real, or as the tagline has it, "Once you believe, you die." Like a hipster Freddy Krueger movie, this seems to be a suitable diversion for self-aware post-Potter teenagers. Even the top YouTube quote is friendly: "Enough with the Harry Potter jokes guys. Siriusly." Zing.
- Ad of the Day: Peyton Manning and Cam Newton Prank Store Customers for Gatorade
- I Ate Taco Bell's Entire New Dollar Menu in One Sitting, and Here's What I Learned
- Here Are the Two New Clash of Clans Ads, Which Will Get a Gazillion Views
- Ad of the Day: David Fincher Brings Darkness and Mystery to Gap's Fall Campaign
- Meet the Hero Designer Who Publicly Shamed Showtime for Asking Him to Work for Free