Meet the Young Influentials Changing Your WorldAll under 40, these superstars of media, marketing, technology and consumer brands are redefining ambition and achievement
The Girl: Lena Dunham, creator and star, Girls
One could be forgiven for thinking that Lena Dunham, 26, who writes, produces and stars in HBO’s hit Girls, is some version of her character—a self-absorbed, brainmeltingly pretentious hipster-writer wannabe. But in person, Dunham is friendly and modest and seems perpetually surprised by all the attention—despite being heralded as "the voice of her generation." (Adweek has talked to her a few times in the past, but HBO currently has the multihyphenate sequestered following a post-Golden Globes press marathon). “Nobody learns faster than Lena,” says Jenni Konner, who writes and produces for Girls.
Konner has supported Dunham both on and off the set—defending her vigorously in Adweek's sister pub, The Hollywood Reporter, after a particularly nasty New York Post column criticizing Dunham’s looks. “[What makes the show good is] her honesty in sharing sort of the darkness in her life and the humor of humiliation and terrible mistakes, and I think everyone can relate to those kind of feelings,” Konner says. The show has plenty of other advocates, among them Ryan Seacrest, who tells Adweek: “I think all guys should watch it so we can glean from it and learn more about girls.” —Sam Thielman
- News Editor Opposing Views Inc. Los Angeles, CA
- Assistant Vice President of Communications & Public Relations The University of Maryland, Baltimore County(UMBC) Baltimore, MD
- Academic Account Manager Springer Science + Business Media New York, NY
- Staff Writer, TheWeek.com TheWeek.com New York, NY
- Publicity Assistant, Doubleday Penguin Random House U.S.A. New York, NY
- Ad of the Day: Adult Retailer Makes Probably the Craziest X-Rated Ad Yet (NSFW)
- How This Interactive Subway Ad Got Everybody Yawning, and Wanting Coffee
- Ad of the Day: Delta Stuffs the Entire Internet Into Its Latest Brilliant Safety Video
- If You Could Pick Only One, Would You Hire Don, Peggy or Joan?
- Coca-Cola Shows You How to Get 6 Million Views on an Ad Without Even Trying