The Ad Smackdown: Facebook Vs. GoogleWhich brand turns people off?
- 1 of 4
Facebook’s Brand Debut “Things That Connect Us”
Posted online in October 2012, it was widely mocked for focusing on, well, chairs. While the ad featured some powerful writing, it lacked emotional grounding. “It was strong but was very abstract,” said Peter Madden, CEO of branding agency AgileCat. Added Wharton marketing professor David Reibstein: “It was not a story per se.” Part of the ad pitched Facebook as a source of comfort in a vast and lonely universe, but it came across as “almost a little scary,” Reibstein said.
- Here Are Some of the World's Best Ads You Might Have Missed in 2015
- Sorry, Britain, but This Lovely Christmas Ad From Spain Is the One to Watch This Year
- Why This New York Agency Is Taking All 42 of Its Employees to Japan for the Holidays
- Samsung Choreographs an Awesome Human Kaleidoscope for Its Gear S2 Watch
- How Nordstrom and Sephora Are Nailing Social Media Going Into Black Friday