The 5 Best Ads of Super Bowl XLVIIHumor and emotion won the night, as the big spectacles mostly fell short
- 1 of 5
Agency: The Richards Group
Score another one for Chrysler. This Richards Group spot, celebrating farmers, was the most evocative and visually rich of the evening, thanks to Paul Harvey's spellbinding "God Made a Farmer" recording and the gorgeous work of 10 great photographers, including National Geographic icon William Albert Allard and renowned documentarian Kurt Markus. Yes, it's similar to a popular Farms.com video, but Farms.com is a partner in RAM's new "Year of the Farmer" campaign and strongly supports the commercial. RAM also has a longstanding partnership with the National FFA Organization (formerly Future Farmers of America) and isn't being opportunistic here. (For every view, download or share of "Farmer" on ramtrucks.com/keepplowing, RAM will make a donation to FFA up to $1 million.) The tagline, "For the farmer in all of us," isn't great. And you can argue that the ad goes for easy nostalgia in the face of complicated politics. But in the forum of the Super Bowl, it's all about leaving an impression. This ad's beautiful craft held 100 million viewers rapt—a worthy beginning to a worthy campaign, and the night's best spot.
- Ad of the Day: Proud New Yorkers (and a Few Other Familiar Faces) Tip Their Hats to Derek Jeter
- This Sweet Video of People Dancing Naked in Public Will Charm Your Pants Off
- World Cup Hero Tim Howard Talks About Sudden Fame
- This Is How Your Financial Data Is Being Used to Serve You Ads
- Is Tim Howard the Perfect Brand Partner?