The 12 Smartest Media Agency Execs in the Business TodayAdweek's 2013 Media All-Stars
Scott Hagedorn CEO, Annalect
Three years ago, Annalect was just a scribbled idea on a cocktail napkin. These days, it's an 850-person global organization that Omnicom chief John Wren praises on Wall Street earnings calls, describing it as a transformational force in how agencies leverage information.
When Omnicom Media Group CEO Daryl Simm approached Scott Hagedorn to create the new digital, data and analytics platform, the then-CEO of PHD might have thought twice. He'd just helped land the $950 million GSK business.
Simm's new remit would also require Hagedorn to relearn hard-core data, marketing technology and software development, the kind of digital skills Hagedorn moved away from as he climbed OMG’s management ranks. Was Hagedorn ready to tackle Big Data and wrestle into suitable form for Omnicom?
The answer became clear. Hagedorn has never been one to shy from challenges. After he started and sold his own digital agency, he was recruited to head up digital advertising at Rapp Collins, where OMD outsourced data analytics. Hagedorn moved to OMD and built out platforms measuring digital.
Annalect pitches against the likes of Adobe, McKinsey and Nielsen, giving Hagedorn a view of the future. "Our industry stands to have some significant disruption," he says. "We have to learn how to deal with the artisanal side of how we do our craft in an increasingly automated world."
Annalect also dovetails with Wren and Co.'s mission to "build, don’t buy" when it comes to generating growth in the digital arena, even as other holding companies engineer much of their digital growth through acquisitions. —Noreen O’Leary
- Content and PR Internship Luxury Brand Partners / Oribe Hair Care New York, NY
- Coordinator, Integrated Ad Sales Marketing OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network New York, NY
- Senior Editor The Fiscal Times New York, NY
- Account Executive FCB West San Francisco, CA
- Digital Editor Washington Examiner Washington, DC
- Step Aside, Waifs. Ronda Rousey Is Carl's Jr.'s Newest Sandwich-Devouring Ad Star
- Star Wars Shut Down This Facebook Commenter Who Wants Female Armor to Look More Ladylike
- Denny's Offers to Partner With Burger King, Since McDonald's Is Being a McChicken
- Burger King Wants to Create a 'McWhopper,' but McDonald's Isn't Biting
- PSAs From MTV Show How Everyday Phrases Keep Bias in the Mainstream