The 12 Smartest Media Agency Execs in the Business TodayAdweek's 2013 Media All-Stars
Scott Hagedorn CEO, Annalect
Three years ago, Annalect was just a scribbled idea on a cocktail napkin. These days, it's an 850-person global organization that Omnicom chief John Wren praises on Wall Street earnings calls, describing it as a transformational force in how agencies leverage information.
When Omnicom Media Group CEO Daryl Simm approached Scott Hagedorn to create the new digital, data and analytics platform, the then-CEO of PHD might have thought twice. He'd just helped land the $950 million GSK business.
Simm's new remit would also require Hagedorn to relearn hard-core data, marketing technology and software development, the kind of digital skills Hagedorn moved away from as he climbed OMG’s management ranks. Was Hagedorn ready to tackle Big Data and wrestle into suitable form for Omnicom?
The answer became clear. Hagedorn has never been one to shy from challenges. After he started and sold his own digital agency, he was recruited to head up digital advertising at Rapp Collins, where OMD outsourced data analytics. Hagedorn moved to OMD and built out platforms measuring digital.
Annalect pitches against the likes of Adobe, McKinsey and Nielsen, giving Hagedorn a view of the future. "Our industry stands to have some significant disruption," he says. "We have to learn how to deal with the artisanal side of how we do our craft in an increasingly automated world."
Annalect also dovetails with Wren and Co.'s mission to "build, don’t buy" when it comes to generating growth in the digital arena, even as other holding companies engineer much of their digital growth through acquisitions. —Noreen O’Leary
- Assistant Editor Mercury Radio Arts Irving, TX
- Experienced Fashion/Lifestyle Publicist Blink PR Hallanda, FL
- Project Manager/Analyst-Communications Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Cambridge, MA
- Account Executive: Consumer PR Sunshine Sachs West Hollywood, CA
- Social Media and Communications Assistant Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Washington, DC
- Jeff Goldblum Is Out of His Mind in Tim & Eric's Loony Ad for GE Lighting
- Volvo Really Takes the Plunge in Powerful Ad That Leaves the Car on Shore
- Ad of the Day: Starbucks Tells Your Story, Not Its Own, in First Global Brand Campaign
- The 5 Artiest Simpsons Couch Gags
- Facebook's New People-Based Ad Technology Is 'Marketing Nirvana'