12 Conversations About the Past, Present and Future of AdvertisingWe sit down with industry leaders in Cannes
- 1 of 12
Annie Leibovitz and Gordon Bowen
Photographer; chairman and CCO, McGarryBowen
AW: You’re here to talk about your current campaign for Disney, but your best known work together is probably the 1980s AmEx Portraits series. Which of those portraits are you proudest of?
AL: Sammy Davis Jr. sitting was kind of amazing. I wanted to be on the outskirts of Las Vegas as the lights came up. And the lights didn’t come on because they were on an automatic timing system.
GB: The combination of Wilt Chamberlain and Willie Shoemaker. Those two white tuxedos with this little guy and this big, gigantic man … it told a story that I really like in a sort of a fun, unexpected, who’d-a-thunk-it kind of way.
Photo: Alfred Maskeroni
- This Craigslist 'Missed Connections' Ad, 43 Years in the Making, Is Simply Heartbreaking
- Here's Another Hilarious Ad That Tries to Get People in Denmark to Have More Sex
- Hot List: Vote Your Picks for 2015's Top Digital Brands, Games and Gadgets
- 5 Brilliantly Faked Viral Ads That People Still Keep Thinking Are Real
- Will Earth in 2045 Be Heaven or Hell? See Both Sides in the Year's Most Amazing Interactive Ad