Today, VH1 has launched a brand new app that brings together linear content, social features and second screen sync in a one-stop shop that communicates how the industry has evolved and grown on the second screen. Here are the details.
The app’s functionality includes the following according to the network:
- on-demand viewing for current and retro shows
- a new-form content lab in the form of “VH1 Snack”
- a new co-viewing “Connect” experience that will allow fans to discuss their favorite shows and characters in real time with other fans or with the show’s cast on the app or via Facebook – and more.
VH1 is also launching a brand new type of content series called “Snack” paving the way for a new kind of short-form, high quality format that other TV networks will surely want to explore. Here are the details from the network:
- The app will mark the debut of VH1 Snack, an unapologetically bite-sized pop culture-infused connected content lab focused on new-form video content and new approaches to development and production. At launch, original new form content will include:
- I’m on the List: Who’s really “Behind the Music”? VH1 Snack’s new animation series recounts the backstage antics of your favorite musicians as told by the women who knew them best.
- Super Hand Models: Watch out! The claws will come out at the Dona Mano Hand Modeling Agency. Glamour, Intrigue and French Tips form the backdrop for this delicious short-form soap. And by the way, it’s all acted out on miniature sets, by actual hands.
- Rock Stories: Matt Pinfield has been living, breathing and interviewing musicians since the ‘80s and he has the stories to prove it. This is Matt’s oral history of sex, drugs and rock n roll.
The new app will offer a new co-viewing “Connect” experience that will filter the best tweets from Twitter and allow fans to discuss their favorite shows and characters in real time with other fans or with the show’s cast on the app or via Facebook. The app will also feature new functionality that will provide a contextualized overlay to the live viewing experience, including sharing behind-the-scenes stories and facts about the shows, characters and storylines, including synced content polls, quizzes, factoids, videos, photos and audio.