‘American Horror Stories: Freak Show‘ premiered last Wednesday to series-high linear ratings (more than 6 million people tuned in) and a huge social outpouring.
According to our analytics partner Canvs, which measures Twitter sentiment, 284,801 of 1,095,074 tweets about the premiere were emotional reactions. 29% of the emotional reactions included the word “love” and 17% included “excited.” The premiere drove the most emotional reactions 20 minutes in, when Twisty the Clown brutally attacked a young couple.
Below, some more insights from Canvs on what drove the Twitter conversation, followed by an infographic:
Here are some other insights on this massive million+ tweet premiere:
- Evan Peters was the second most mentioned topic during the premiere, behind only the show’s title. Peters was mentioned in nearly 14% of tweets with reactions.
- 40% of reactions to Peters expressed “love.”
- 25% of reactions to Peters expressed “attractive.”
- Peters has gotten more popular in the last year: he was only mentioned in 6% of tweets with reactions during season three’s premiere.
- The creepy clown was mentioned in 22,896 reactions during the premiere. This accounts for about 8% of reactions. 44% of “clown” reactions to the clown said some form of “afraid.”
- Fans really loved the show’s new intro sequence. In the five minutes surrounding the opening, there were more than 14.5k tweets, 29% of which expressed “love.”