With a 2.5 rating, last year’s game tied the 2008 Winter Classic for the most-watched regular season NHL game ever. NBC Sports and the NHL are undoubtedly trying to grow that audience this year, and to help do so, NBC is supplementing its broadcast coverage with a number of social activations. Below, a few of the social programs taking place:
– #MyWinterClassic: All hockey fans and players have enjoyed outdoor hockey. As a kid on a pond or freezing out your backyard to get more ice time as a teenager, hockey outside is in your DNA. We’ll be tapping into the roots of what the Winter Classic is all about by collecting photos on social media using the hashtag “#MyWinterClassic”. These photos will be prevalent on the NHL on NBC Sports social Twitter/Instagram/Facebook properties and showcased within the broadcast as well to showcase the best ones.
— NHL on NBC (@NHLonNBCSports) January 1, 2015
– Custom Winter Classic social media graphics will be built especially for the NBC Sports social media properties to keep fans informed and to supply hockey fans with a way to celebrate their favorite players and goals from either team.
– Many social media efforts are an extension of the Winter Classic broadcast. The on-air production team puts together informative graphics and the social media team will be utilizing these high end on-air graphics by bringing them to our social media audience as well. So if fans didn’t get a chance to take in the stats at the end of a period or wish to go back and refer to an earlier graphic on screen, the NBC Sports social media properties will provide that to fans.
– Real-time reaction: We will turn around highlights and amazing moments that will be featured on NBC Sports.com and NBC Sports Live Extra to help fans see and share the must see moments from the game.
– RSNs Collaboration: CSN Mid Atlantic, CSN Chicago and NBC Sports are all collaborating around the Winter Classic by sharing photos, video and articles to help drive awareness around the event.