The Los Angeles Times hosted its 34th Annual Book Prizes ceremony over the weekend, honoring 50 writers in 10 categories for their 2013 books. The Times’ book critic David L. Ulin hosted the event at at the University of Southern California’s Bovard Auditorium.
Susan Straight received the Robert Kirsch Award for lifetime achievement and John Green took The Innovator’s Award. We’ve got the entire list of winners after the jump.
- Biography: Marie Arana, Bolivar: American Liberator (Simon & Schuster)
- Current Interest: Sheri Fink, Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital(Crown)
- Fiction: Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being (Viking)
- The Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction: NoViolet Bulawayo, We Need New Names (Reagan Arthur Books)
- Graphic Novel/Comics: Ulli Lust, Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life (Fantagraphics)
- History: Christopher Clark, The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 (HarperCollins)
- Mystery/Thriller: J.K. Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith, The Cuckoo’s Calling (Mulholland Books/Little, Brown & Company)
- Poetry: Ron Padgett, Collected Poems (Coffee House Press)
- Science & Technology: Alan Weisman, Countdown: Our Last, Best Hope for a Future on Earth? (Little, Brown & Company)
- Young Adult Literature: Gene Luen Yang, Boxers & Saints (First Second/Macmillan)