AbeBooks has released its annual list of the most expensive books sold by the used and rare books dealer.
This year, an 1603 astronomy text by Johann Bayer topped the list–selling for $47,729. An inscribed first edition of Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale took third place as a $46,000 purchase. We’ve collected the top five books below, with Louisa May Alcott and Maurice Sendak tied for fifth place.
Here’s more from AbeBooks: “In third place is Franz Kafka’s novel Die Verwandlung (aka The Metamorphosis), which sold for $30,000.The original German edition is highly sought after because of Kafka’s ability to deliver unexpected impact at the end of his sentences. This effect has been difficult for English translators to replicate so the original German script is essential for Kafka collectors.”
Most Expensive Sales of 2012 at AbeBooks
1. Uranometria, Omnium Asterismorum Continens Schemata, Nova Methodo Delineata, Sereis Laminis Expressaby Johann Bayer – $47,729
2. Casino Royale by Ian Fleming – $46,453
3. Die Verwandlung by Franz Kafka – $30,000
4. A Latin bible from 1491 – $26,200
5. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak – $25,000
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – $25,000
5. A Polyglot bible from 1599-1602 edited by Elisa Hutter – $25,000