A fire on the Paris-based set of “From Paris With Love” has shut down production for the John Travolta film produced by EuropaCorp.
On Sunday night, in the Montfermeil suburb of Paris, several stunt cars were set ablaze and burned through the night in what is being investigated as an arson attack, Screen International reported.
The affair has been handed over to the authorities who are looking into reports that security guards on duty on Sunday night saw someone carrying a can of gasoline in the area where the cars burned. Further, it is thought that the attack may have been an attempt to pressure Besson, reported Agence France Presse.
About 100 locals had been hired as extras for the film, directed by Pierre Morel and produced by Luc Besson and also starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers
EuropaCorp had no comment when contacted and only reiterated the original press release which announced the film.
However, local mayor Xavier Lemoine, told AFP: “Luc Besson came to tell us this morning that the shoot was cancelled. This is a profound disappointment.”
Besson said he “felt that he couldn’t shoot the film with the level of security required.”