Andy Coulson Gets 18 Months in Tabloid Phone Hacking (NYT)
Andy Coulson, a former senior editor in Rupert Murdoch’s news empire and a onetime adviser to Prime Minister David Cameron, was sentenced on Friday to 18 months in prison for his part in the phone hacking scandal that convulsed Britain’s press, police and political elite and inspired calls for tighter regulation of journalists. HuffPost / AP Coulson was convicted June 24 after an eight-month trial triggered by a tabloid-wrongdoing scandal that led Murdoch to shut down the News of The World in 2011. Another former editor, Rebekah Brooks, and four others were acquitted. The Guardian The offense carries a maximum sentence of two years’ imprisonment, but Coulson received a discount of several months for his previous good character. He could be out in less than nine months because, as a non-violent offender, he is required to serve just half his sentence. THR Three other former News of the World staffers and one private investigator who hacked phones for the paper also pleaded guilty to hacking and also received their sentences Friday. They are former news desk editors Greg Miskiw, James Weatherup and Neville Thurlbeck, as well as Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator who was used for hacking. Miskiw and Thurlbeck were sentenced to six months each, Weatherup got a suspended sentence of four months, and Mulcaire was given a suspended sentence of six months. Variety Coulson faces a retrial along with former royals editor Clive Goodman on separate charges that they made illegal payments to police officers to obtain royal phone directories. Over a period of more than a decade, journalists at the now-shuttered Sunday paper listened in on thousands of voicemails belonging to celebrities, politicians and crime victims.
SiriusXM Shows Anthony Cumia The Door (FishbowlNY)
Anthony Cumia’s Twitter feed on Friday was a tale of two constituencies. The fired co-host of Opie & Anthony is re-tweeting both supportive messages of SiriusXM membership cancellation and responding to other declarations from people who applaud the satellite broadcaster’s decision. New York Post Longtime shock jock Cumia was fired from his radio gig after unleashing a racially charged Twitter rant on Tuesday. SiriusXM made the decision to release Cumia after he took to the social media website to vent about a run in he had with a black woman in Times Square. Mashable Cumia’s remarks and postings, including tweets and retweets that were degrading to women, were “abhorrent” to SiriusXM, company spokesperson Patrick Reilly said Friday. Cumia’s response Friday on Twitter included an obscenity in relation to SiriusXM. He said he was fired over material that was not aired, and was not illegal. Rolling Stone Cumia is no stranger to controversy. Along with co-host Gregg Hughes (known as Opie), he has punctuated his radio career with stunts that have gotten him in hot water with employers. In 1998, the pair were fired from a Boston-area radio station for an April Fool’s hoax that claimed the mayor had been killed in a traffic accident. Their show was then canceled by Infinity Broadcasting in 2002 after promoting a contest that led to a couple calling in to say they were having sex in New York’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
Google Reinstates European Links to Articles From The Guardian (NYT)
Google’s efforts to carry out a European court order on the “right to be forgotten” took another twist on Friday as the company restored search-engine links to several newspaper articles from The Guardian whose delinking had stirred a public furor only a day earlier. PBS Newshour / The Rundown The move came after Google notified British media outlets, The Guardian and the BBC that links to some articles would no longer be visible on their search engine after they received complaints to have the links removed. Outcry citing censorship and media freedom immediately followed, and to some, highlighted the lack of transparency about how the ruling would be overseen. Bloomberg The Guardian said Thursday that Google informed it of the removal of six links to its articles, citing the EU ruling on the so-called right to be forgotten. The Telegraph, also based in London, said Google told it that links to two 2010 articles about Scottish soccer referee Dougie McDonald had been reinstated. HuffPost / Reuters The incidents underscore the uncertainty around how Google intends to adhere to a May European court ruling that gave its citizens the “right to be forgotten,” i.e. to request the scrubbing of links to articles that pop up under a name search. Privacy advocates say the backlash around press censorship highlights the potential dangers of the ruling and its unwieldiness in practice. That in turn may benefit Google by stirring debate about the soundness of the ruling, which the Internet search leader criticized from the outset. Google, which has received more than 70,000 requests, began acting upon them in past days.
Italy’s Mediaset to Sell Stake in Digital Plus Pay-TV to Spain’s Telefónica (WSJ)
A Spanish subsidiary of Italian broadcaster Mediaset has agreed to sell its 22 percent stake in pay-television group Digital Plus to Telefónica. Spain’s Telefónica, the second-biggest telecommunications company in Europe, offered €295 million ($403.5 million) for Mediaset España’s stake in Digital Plus, the companies said in regulatory filings on Friday. Variety The deal raises Telefónica’s ownership to 100 percent of DTS. In a milestone agreement in May, Telefónica purchased 56 percent of DTS from debt-crunched Spanish media group Prisa, raising its total shareholding to 78 percent. THR The Spanish telecom announced an expansion strategy earlier this year via its Movistar Fusion TV with an eye on bundling services that saw it bulking up its presence in the pay-TV market, buttressed by key sports rights like Formula 1, European Cup 2016, the World Cup 2018 and UEFA rights for the next four years. Telefónica’s Movistar TV will launch its own thematic channel in September, focused exclusively on international soccer matches.
CBS Sunday Morning Has Best Q2 Since 1987 (TVNewser)
CBS Sunday Morning averaged 5.68 million viewers during the second quarter of 2014, its best Q2 delivery since the advent of people meters in 1987. As usual, the program won the quarter in both total viewers and the adult 25-54 demographic. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media NBC’s Meet The Press, beset by bad ratings and bad press, finished third in the second quarter of 2014, averaging just 2,365,000 total viewers and 687,000 in the 25-54 demo, according to newly released Nielsen numbers. CBS’ Face The Nation finished first among total viewers, with 2,874,000, while ABC’s This Week topped the demo with 826,000 viewers. TVNewser Q2 2014 produced a first-ever total viewers quarter victory for ABC’s Nightline in its 12:35 a.m. ET period. The news program averaged 1.693 total viewers, beating its NBC and CBS late night competition by 298,000 and 111,000 viewers, respectively.
YouTube Does U-Turn Over Blocking Indies (Financial Times)
YouTube has postponed a controversial plan to block certain record labels from its video platform, following an outcry from the creative community and growing scrutiny from European regulators. Billboard A week-and-a-half ago, indie trade group IMPALA filed a formal complaint with the European Commission against YouTube over the disagreement, saying it was engaging in anticompetitive behavior. Indies were rankled most by what appeared to be an ultimatum by YouTube, with the company telling labels that they would remove advertisements on their music videos, the service’s principal revenue generator, if they refused the contract’s terms, cutting them off from a stream that generates hundreds of millions of dollars for labels each year. GigaOM Some indie labels have been holding out on striking a deal with YouTube because of what they believe to be unfavorable conditions; YouTube declined to comment further on the current state of the negotiations, according to the Times report, but told the paper that it has been offering all labels a fair deal consistent with what other streaming music services have to offer.
Daily News Names 50 Most Powerful Women in New York (New York Daily News)
The New York Daily News has picked out the 50 most powerful women in New York. The women who made the cut are “from all walks of professional life: politics, music, Hollywood, business, culture — and sometimes all five.” FishbowlNY Claiming the No. 1 spot on the list is Beyonce, who beat out Chirlane McCray and Hillary Clinton, two women who actually have power. Rounding out the top five is Kirsten Gillibrand and Lena Dunham. The bottom half of the Daily News’ top 10 is crowded with media figures. Diane Sawyer comes in at No. 7, Arianna Huffington at eight, and Barbara Walters at 10.
Reporting in Burma (CJR / Behind The News)
Day partying seemed like a harmless enough subject to report on in Burma. To circumvent parental and societal pressure to spend the evening hours at home, teenagers there held parties in the afternoon instead — a clever cultural workaround. But in this Southeast Asian country only recently released from the grip of a brutal, almost 50-year military junta, it turns out even lighthearted reporting evokes darkness.
TV News Personalities Make Forbes Most Powerful Celebrities List (Forbes)
Forbes has released its list of the 100 Most Powerful Celebrities. TVNewser Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are No. 39 and No. 86 on the list, respectively.
Kensington Expands Distribution Partnership With Penguin Random House (GalleyCat)
Kensington Publishing, an independent publisher that has been in business for 40 years, has signed a five-year expanded sales and distribution agreement with Penguin Random House Publisher Services. Under the terms of the deal, Penguin Random House will continue to distribute books from the independent publisher and will expand its partnership to take advantage of additional Penguin Random House sales and distribution services.
Analyst Upgrades ITV Stock, Cites ‘Compelling Value’ (THR)
U.K. TV powerhouse ITV continues to get analyst love. UBS analyst Tamsin Garrity on Friday upgraded the rating on the company’s stock from “neutral” to “buy,” citing its “compelling value” after a recent pullback. She also said U.K. pay TV giant BSkyB, in which Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox owns a 39 percent stake, could sell its 7.5 percent stake in the networks giant. The UBS analyst also cited retransmission consent fees, which ITV has started to push for from pay TV operators, as a catalyst for the stock. The soccer World Cup has also been seen as a positive for ITV, which splits coverage with the BBC.
The Washington Post Adds Jeremy Gilbert to Digital Staff (Capital New York)
The Washington Post, which has been adding digital staff in droves, has hired Jeremy Gilbert as director of strategic initiatives, it was announced in a Thursday memo to staff. Gilbert will oversee “digital storytelling” at the Post, as the memo puts it, both on the editorial side and in conjunction with advertisers, and will assist with digital strategy. He previously worked as a digital deputy editor for National Geographic where he similarly oversaw new digital products both for advertisers and editorial.
Netflix Warns Regulator Not to Tax Canadian Streaming Service (THR)
Netflix has told Canada’s TV watchdog not to tax the U.S. video streaming giant as it does business here, despite industry calls for Netflix Canada to subsidize local content production. Corie Wright, director of global public policy at Netflix, told the TV regulator, which is holding upcoming public hearings on the future of Canadian broadcasting, that Netflix already licenses Canadian programming for its Netflix Canada service.
Elle Names Design Director (FishbowlNY)
Elle has named Evan Campisi its design director. Campisi joins the magazine from Nylon, where he served in the same role since 2012. He previously served as Entertainment Weekly’s associate art director.
New Yorker Names New Comm Director (Capital New York)
The New Yorker has found a new communications director to replace longtime lead publicist Alexa Cassanos, who recently accepted a new job at Facebook. Natalie Raabe will start in the position on Monday, joining the Condé Nast title from her gig as a vice president of communications at NBC News.