— DIANE CLEHANE
Sometimes it seems like all roads lead to Michael’s, and today was no exception. Everyone in the place seemed connected by less than six degrees of separation, as we observed plenty of old friends and former colleagues exchanging air kisses before dining and dishing. Then there was the completely random fashion moment that caught our eye. Did you know it was ‘Seersucker Day’ here in New York City? Now you do. So it was only fitting that Michael’s GM Steve Millington was sporting his summer seersucker suit in honor of the sweltering heat. Earlier today, a little birdie told me that the outdoor set of The Early Show was filled with men (including the show’s weatherman Dave Price) in Haspel seersucker suits in honor of the company’s 100 anniversary. Who made Steve’s suit? Why Haspel, of course. Just thought you’d like to know.
I was lunching today with Susan Silver, who I met in this very dining room a while back when I was lunching with our mutual pal Brian Balthazar at the next table. When I found out Susan was one of the brilliant writers behind The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Maude and The Bob Newhart Show (the first and best one), I just had to get to know her better. Today we talked TV — of course — and Susan weighed in on her favorite sitcoms of the season. She gives high marks to ABC’s Modern Family (“Genius!”) and The Middle (“It is laugh out loud funny!”). It turns out we share a mutual obsession with reality television; specifically Bravo’s wild and wacky Housewives. I can’t get enough of the New York City divas — except for Jill Zarin. Susan loves ‘em all.
These days Susan is turning up everywhere on television (most recently with Rosanna Scotto on Fox 5) and radio (chatting with Bill Bennett) to talk about the baby boomer generation, spurred by a column she did a few years back, “The Search for Mr. Adequate,” for New York Social Diary. Now she’s on a mission to become “The Martha Stewart of The Baby Boomers,” offering her take on everything from fashion to travel and, of course, relationships for this “underserved market.” Stay tuned.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Chris Taylor presiding over a table of fabulous females, including Desiree Gruber and CNN’s Alina Cho
2. Bonnie Timmermann and two pals
3. “Mayor” Joe Armstrong and Glamour editrix Cindi Leive
4. The Early Show: It was a family affair for sisters Andrea Barzvi (who works at ICM) and Alexandra Barzvi (a clinical psychologist), who were celebrating mom Bianca’s birthday. We simply had say hello to this stylish trio because Bianca’s hat just dazzled us. Second seating: Peggy Siegal.
5. Aryeh Bourkoff
7. Felicia Taylor (Long time no see!) with a handsome fellow we didn’t get a chance to meet
8. New York Social Diary’s David Patrick Columbia
9. Kay Koplovitz
10. Susan Silver and yours truly
11. Pamela Fiori
12. Producer Francine LeFrak, who told me she’s just back from Syria with the the very tall and tan Tommy Tune
14. Discovery ID’s Henry Schleiff with Jennifer Geisser, who served as Henry’s head of PR when they worked together back in the day at Court TV and Hallmark. These days, Jen consults for Karmaloop, a new network targeting the 18-34 market, helmed by Katie McEnroe. Congrats!
15. Fashionista Becca Thrash
81. Hollywood legend and Oscar winner Robert Benton and the lovely Joan Jakobson
16. My good friend producer Joan Gelman with her sons Josh and Gregg
17. Harper Collins publisher Jonathan Burnham and uber-agent Ed Victor
18. Cosmo‘s Kate White and Men’s Health honcho David Zinczenko
20. Inside Edition’s Deborah Norville (looking gorgeous) with More magazine’s Lesley Jane Seymour, who wrote an incredibly moving editor’s letter in a recent issue about her relationship with her mother. Powerful stuff…
21. The always dashing Gerry Byrne
22. Lisa Belzberg of the Canadian Belzbergs, so we’re told…
23. My good pal Lisa Linden and Charles Millard , celebrating Charles’ recent appointment to the advisory board of Financial Recovery Technologies.
24. Former Fox 5 News gals and BFFs Judy Della Femina, Penny Crone, and Lynn White
25. PR impresario Tom Goodman and Jane Lehman
26. Barry Wine. Turns out Barry is the former owner of The Quilted Giraffe and is now designing some très chic jewelry.
27. Charlie Walk and former Victoria’s Secret pitchwoman Frederique van Derwal
28. Vera Wang’s Elizabeth Musmanno
29. Jimmy Choo’s marketing maven Tamara Mellon
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro DOT com and Lunch AT mediabistro DOT com.