— DIANE CLEHANE
It must be all that good news about ad pages for the September issues being way up from last year that brought out the media mavens today at Michael’s. The place was packed with editors and journos all doing their best to boost Gotham’s perilous economy. The expense account returns!
I was lunching today with my good friend Miriam Driot, who recently opened her own marketing consultancy, and fashionista extraordinaire Susan Tabak, who I met in this very dining room a few years ago. Susan spent over a decade providing well-heeled international clients with customized shopping excursions in Paris and later had a big hit with her self-published tome Chic in Paris: Style Secrets & Best Addresses and its accompanying blog, chicinparis.com.
“I’m not Vogue, but I have my own perspective and people have responded to my authenticity.” I’ll say. The Times of London rated her the top fashion commentator on Twitter for her insights from the front row of the haute couture shows. Last November, Susan reinvented her site as susantabak.com and has added plenty of eye-catching features like her behind-the-scenes look at the New York and Paris runway shows and video interviews with fashion gods like Karl Lagerfeld (“a fascinating character”) and John Galliano (“just extraordinary”).
Susan has parlayed her online success into a full-fledged media company and has plans for more books and some online and television projects. She’s also tapped Mark Grischke, formerly of Vogueand ForbesLife, to be her editorial director. “I’ve got so many plans to extend my brand beyond the website, and I’m taking my time so I can hire the best team possible. Fashion is international, and to succeed, you need a global presence.”
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Christopher Simon of CBS with a table full of pals
2. Peter Brown
3. Law & Order SVU‘s Richard Belzer (with his beloved pooch who seemed a bit skittish while dodging the wait staff) and a fellow we didn’t recognize
4. Men’s Health honcho David Zinczenko (in jeans!) and Eric Sacks
5. Designer Dennis Basso
6. Susan Tabak, Miriam Driot (loved the Lulu Frost ‘tassle’ necklace!), Mark Grischke and yours truly.
7. People‘s main man Larry Hackett and Martin Dunne
8. Kyle Hotchkiss Carone and public relations maven Melanie Brandman
11. Glamour editrix Cindi Leive (loved those sky high plaforms!) and an unidentified blonde gal
12. Related Companies’ Jay Kriegel
14. The always dapper Gerry Byrne and a lovely looking young lady we didn’t get a chance to meet.
15. Time Warner’s Ed Adler and Pete Himler
16. United Stations Radio’s Nick Verbitsky and Jim Higgins
17. Chanel’s Barbara Cirkva
18. The New York Times scribe Geraldine Fabrikant
20. Bloomberg’s Judith Czelusniak
21. Quest‘s Chris Meigher
23. Microsoft’s new VP of global ad sales Carolyn Everson
25. Susan Ainsworth
26. Jennifer Ruff of Equinox
27. Seeing double: Euan Rellie and a doppelganger pal.
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.