This post is one in a series covering the multimedia sessions at the 2008 UNITY Journalists conference
1. Remember the rule of thirds.
2. Use a tripod every time.
3. Same goes for headphones.
4. Use a wide shot to set the scene.
5. White balance before every setup.
6. Lay off the fancy transitions.
7. If you can get closer without zooming, do it.
8. Always shoot B-roll.
9. And pre-roll.
10. Rock and roll.
11. Use an external microphone whenever possible.
12. Remember video on the web is seen on relatively small screens.
13. Lose the auto focus.
14. Experiment with your camera’s features…before you shoot. Be sure to restore settings after.
15. Bring extra batteries.
For more video shooting tips, check out this previous post.