Does the thought of stuffing yourself into a gown or a tuxedo cause you distress? No? Then dust off those free weights and stop eating cupcakes because October is full of wonderful galas where you can mingle with Washington’s finest.
For instance, there’s the Democracy Awards Gala at the Mayflower on Oct 9th. The emcee is MSNBC’s Karen Finney, host of the network’s “Disrupt with Karen Finney.”
Finney will join DC Vote Executive Dir. Kimberly Perry to recognize 2013 Champions of Democracy honorees Mary Ann Stein, Veterans of the District of Columbia and Rep. Jose Serrano (D-NY), (often humorous and never has a shortage of words) for their dedication to fulfilling the promise of democracy.
To be sure, the evening will include remarks from the honorees, as they share personal anecdotes regarding their efforts to protect and advance democracy at home and abroad.
If this gala doesn’t send a thrill up your leg, never fear, there’s more. You’ll even find late-night host Jimmy Fallon hosting one at the end of October.
1. The Global Leaders Gala with The Washington Center – Monday, October 7 @ The National Building Museum. Last year, the gala – which supports academic scholarship programs for students living and working in DC – boasted 450 attendees and raised over $450,000. Link: http://www.twc.edu/support/gala
2. DC Vote Champions of Democracy Awards – Wednesday, October 9 @ The Mayflower Hotel: Hosted by Karen Finney of MSNBC’s Disrupt with Karen Finney, this annual event honors individuals and organizations that fight to end taxation without representation in DC. Link: http://www.dcvote.org/events/COD2013.cfm
3. The Meridian Ball – Friday, October 18, @ The Meridian House: Traditionally held in October, the Ball is known for intimate Ambassador-hosted dinners and supports cultural diplomacy initiatives coordinated by the Meridian International Center. Link: http://www.meridian.org/ball
4. Sibley Memorial Hospital Hope & Progress Gala – Saturday, October 19 @ The Four Seasons: Supports Sibley’s ongoing mission to provide compassionate and personalized medical care. 2013 gala testimonial speaker Rob Liberatore raised over $349,000 to benefit Sibley cancer patients in need. Link: http://www.sibleyfoundation.org/gala/
5. USO Gala – Saturday, October 25 @ The Washington Hilton: Dennis Haysbert hosts the 2013 event – expected to attract close to 1,000 attendees – which pays special tribute to our men and women in uniform. Wyononna Judd is the headliner. Link: http://www.uso.org/gala/