Harry Jaffe talks to Bill and Carol Press, who live one block away from Eastern Market.
“We woke up choking from smoke,” says Press.
Press — a journalist and raconteur — called his neighbor. At 1:05 they were on the street, watching part of Washington’s fabric go up in flames.
“We are foodies,” Press told me just before noon Monday. “We didn’t shop at Costco for a week’s supplies. We went to the market every day.” He was walking up Eighth Street toward the market with a cup of coffee in hand. The firemen had doused the fire, but the wounds were just starting to hurt.
“Our heart has been ripped out,” Press said.