Facebook Chat has enabled quicker communication than was ever before possible on the site. New features unique to Facebook Chat include live notifications, integration of mini-feed events in the message windows, and the ability to maintain state (such as whether conversations are minimized, and which are open). And as a sign that the product is being actively improved, Chat started working today in at least two more browsers – Opera and Firefox 3 beta.
However, the current Chat feature set is still relatively limited. Among the commonly requested features, we have to wonder: which features will be added next?
- Chat logging
- Support for an open chat protocol, or another software-based approach
- File transfer
- Ability to disable chat completely, so that it doesn’t show during the Facebook experience at all
- Chat rooms
- Support for mobile clients or browsers
- Integration with the Facebook Platform
- Friend grouping, perhaps by friends list (although duplicates might be annoying)
- Ability to change the order of friends
- Privacy controls, so that you can prevent chatting with certain friends, or blocking for that matter
- Ability to sign on as “invisible” to other users
- Away messages or states, separate from the Facebook Status
If you have any other suggestions, be sure to leave a comment here and let us know.