While developers have been waiting on MySpace to turn on additional application communication channels for months, MySpace has just announced that app invites will be going live in 2 weeks. Unfortunately for developers, it’s unlikely that MySpace app invites will lead to the same kind of distribution developers saw on Facebook.
Here are all the details:
- App invites can only be sent to 1 friend at a time (though MySpace says this is only for now)
- There can be “no incentives” to users for sending app invites
- App invites can be viewed in a new “Notifications” folder in the MySpace Mail Center
- The invite will have a 1-click flow to add the app
MySpace hasn’t officially released the APIs yet, but here are screenshots of the app invite flow:
1. Sending a MySpace app invite
2. Receiving a MySpace app invite
3. Installing an app through a MySpace app invite
We’ll have all the details as the MySpace Platform expands its viral channels.