Today, questions from a CNN/ORC International poll regarding the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 were released online. Of the 1,008 adult Americans surveyed (between May 2 and 4 with a sampling error of +/- 3.5%), 19% of respondents said there was at least some likelihood that “space aliens, time travelers, or beings from another dimension” were responsible for the missing plane.
The internet went wild. See some of the best Twitter commentary after the jump.
go home CNN poll takers, you’re drunk
— john r stanton (@dcbigjohn) May 7, 2014
Anchor Jerry Springer Next? :CNN Asked People In A Scientific Poll If They Thought Space Aliens Abducted MH370 http://t.co/LPIEkV8DvX
— Kevin Spillane (@SpillaneCa) May 7, 2014
Thanks to CNN for the reminder that “poll” rhymes with “troll.”
— Michael Roston (@michaelroston) May 7, 2014
Come on, it’s clearly the island from Lost, not aliens http://t.co/9yXIw1besr
— Patrick Caldwell (@patcaldwell) May 7, 2014
— Garrett Brinker (@GBrinks) May 7, 2014
Just took my own poll: 99% of responsible adults think CNN’s poll should not have been taken. The other 1% is Wolf Blitzer & family.
— Harry Enten (@ForecasterEnten) May 7, 2014
One in ten Americans believe flight 370 could be missing because of aliens. I bet these people vote too. http://t.co/4Zfd16nv07
— Mike O’Brien (@mobrien1) May 7, 2014
Anytime “aliens” is included as a serious option in a poll you can bet I’m choosing “very likely” #CNN
— Shianne Chatarjee (@schatarjee) May 7, 2014
The most pointless poll ever taken? CNN keeps plane story alive by asking viewers to weigh in. http://t.co/BM3hhx9Nio
— Deborah Potter (@TVNewsLab) May 7, 2014
Oh, CNN, bless your heart. http://t.co/SvLQpy9Yui
— Jason Pye (@jaseliberty) May 7, 2014
— Detroit Politics (@DetroitPolitics) May 7, 2014
Only CNN would think to do a “poll” about Flight 370. http://t.co/SzSw5GVIL2
— mnpact (@newtbuster) May 7, 2014