Football – or soccer if you’re in North America – has some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, making it far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, with the top clubs (and athletes) each boasting millions of fans (and tweets). But which teams are faring best?
This month, Real Madrid has finally leap-frogged its great rival Barcelona to move into the number one spot, and the lead is growing rapidly.
Arsenal remains the top UK Premier League team, maintaining its position at third place this month, and @miseleccionmx, the official Twitter profile of the Mexico team, is the most-followed national squad on Twitter.
The Top 10 Football Teams On Twitter
1. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 12,975,308 followers)
2. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 12,793,069)
3. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 4,559,293)
4. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 4,458,608)
5. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 4,238,816)
6. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 3,509,858)
7. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 3,504,979)
8. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 3,269,273)
9. Selección Mexicana (@miseleccionmx, 2,529,639)
10. CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol, 2,331,538)
Note: chart includes only the top profile of each team and excludes other-language accounts (i.e., @FCBarcelona_es).
(Football image via Shutterstock.)