Football – or soccer if you’re in North America – has some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, making it far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, with the top clubs (and athletes) each boasting millions of fans (and tweets). But which teams are faring best?
Barcelona continues to lead the way ahead of its great rival, Real Madrid, but the gap is narrowing rapidly, with Madrid now just 63,000 followers behind.
Arsenal remains the top UK Premier League team, maintaining its position at third place this month, and Manchester United have leap-frogged Liverpool into seventh place overall.
The Top 10 Football Teams On Twitter
1. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 12,575,747 fans)
2. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 12,512,275)
3. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 4,372,481)
4. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 4,300,297)
5. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 4,084,822)
6. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 3,384,578)
7. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 3,266,943)
8. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 3,108,076)
9. Selección Mexicana (@miseleccionmx, 2,429,415)
10. CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol, 2,274,433)
Note: chart includes only the top profile of each team and excludes other-language accounts (i.e., @FCBarcelona_es).
(Football image via Shutterstock.)