It has certainly been an interesting month for the Facebook platform. Very few of last month’s games stayed in the positions they were ranked the month before, and the same is true this time around.
For starters, there was significant change in MAUs for some of the top positions. In addition to this, we saw some predicted (and significant) growth for some of the newer titles, and some surprising drops with a few of the popular, older ones. However, perhaps most surprising of all was the appearance of not one, two, or even three, but four new titles on the charts – one of which premiered within the Top 5.
Here are the highlights:
- While Zynga‘s Texas HoldEm Poker still holds top honors, the former #2, Pet Society from Playfish, was ousted by Mafia Wars, who gained 2 million+ in monthly active users.
- Slashkey makes a surprising entrance with YoVille/myFarm hybrid Farm Town at #4, with nearly 8 million monthly actives.
- As expected, new Playfish game Restaurant City has become the second most popular of their Facebook titles at #10, followed by another newcomer, Chain RXN by Zwigglers at #11 with users just shy of 4 million this last month.
- New titles on last month’s charts, PopCap’s Bejeweled Blitz rose from #21 to #13, followed closely by Know-it-all-Trivia (previously #15).
- At spots #21 and #22, we have two new titles from Metrogames called Biotronic and Waka-Waka.
- And very surprising, Mob Wars drops to #24 losing around 250,000 users, while (Lil) Blue Cove clings to #25.
This month has proven that neither Zynga nor Playfish will control the charts foreve – the simple fact that a new game appeared at #4 in its first appearance on these charts is uncanny. It just goes to show that social networks are still very fertile ground for new and old game developers alike.