Creating on-demand geofilters on Snapchat just got a lot easier, and with a host of new features, too.
Snapchat rolled out customizable templates for users looking to purchase and create on-demand geofilters, eliminating the need for the use of image-editing software.
Text and colors in the geofilters can be customized, and Snapchat also introduced the following new options:
- New caption options.
- The ability to highlight caption text for italic, bold and underlined styles
- The ability to animate big captions on top of snaps by pressing and holding to pin them on video snaps.
- Users can now tap their faces once to use lenses, rather than having to press and hold.
- Public Stories can be previewed on the Stories page before adding friends.
On-demand geofilters can be created as follows:
- Design your geofilter to meet the size and guidelines on Snapchat’s website.
- Map the area they will cover and how long they will last. The minimum area is 20,000 square feet, which covers a small event, and the maximum area is 5 million square feet, which covers a few city blocks. The timer can be set for 30 minutes or up to 30 days.
- Buy your geofilter: Prices start at $5 and are mostly based on the size and time period–a few hours for a small area often costs just $5, and users can experiment with the tool to see different prices.
- Wait roughly one business day while a team at Snapchat reviews orders to ensure that they meet design and technical standards.
- Use your geofilter, which will also provide users with access to a dashboard to check total views and total uses.
Snapchat cautioned that on-demand geofilters may be turned off in high-traffic areas and areas overlapping with Live Stories.
Readers: What do you think of the changes in the process of creating on-demand geofilters on Snapchat?