We’re all for spreading our wings. Today Politico‘s Amie Parnes takes her FLOTUS fever to a sweat lodge as she writes about, not first lady Michelle Obama, but her mother, Marian Robinson.
No doubt, FLOTUS’s press office is doing cartwheels right about now. They officially declined to participate in the story, and still, Parnes manages to make Marian sparkle. Was there even a worry? Unfortunately not much new news in this report — Parnes’ prose is well-written and she’s good at compiling tidbits from past reports about FGOTUS. We do get a quote from WaPo social reporter Sally Quinn who has the “dream” quote of the story that doubles as a headline. “She’s the dream grandmother,” Quinn gushes. An anonymous “longtime family friend” reveals (and we use this word to exaggerate how unrevealing it is) that “She’s having a great time.”
What makes FGOTUS such a dream?
1. She takes the first daughters to school.
2. She keeps a low profile (it must be true because this low-profile story says so.)
3. She does math and helps the first daughters with their homework (which she told NBC TODAY’s Matt Lauer last year while keeping a low profile.)
4. She’s racy. Marian hits the Vegas strip, which Obama announced last year to the press corps.
5. Last but certainly not least, she does her own laundry in the machines down the hall because she doesn’t want anyone else checking out her undergarments. Perfectly understandable. (Michelle Obama told this to Oprah BFF Gayle King in May.)
The Parnes-o-Meter score (1-10, 10 being a Kissing Festival): It’s a smoochfest at 8.75.
Read the story here.