NBA.com has launched The Barkley Zone, a new video channel featuring exclusive videos of the NBA Hall of Famer turned TNT analyst. The Barkley Zone will be one of five video channels available on NBA.com as part of the site’s new look for the Playoffs which begin tomorrow.
“Our goal is to always offer the fan the most compelling video content across all our digital platforms and Charles is the perfect fit to lead the way for our playoff site with a channel of his own.,” said Bryan Perez, SVP and GM of NBA Digital.
More in the press release after the jump…
NBA.com Debuts Exclusive Charles Barkley Video Channel for 2009 NBA Playoffs Coverage
New look to NBA.com for Playoffs to emphasize free video content through five video channels
Hall of Famer Charles Barkley takes center court on NBA.com with the debut of The Barkley Zone, a new video channel that will feature exclusive videos of the TNT analyst throughout the 2009 NBA Playoffs. The Barkley Zone will be one of five video channels available on NBA.com as part of the siteÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s new look for the Playoffs, which will launch on Thursday, April 16.
The Barkley Zone will include video content such as Soundoff with Barkley speaking his mind on a variety of topics, and Where They Been? where he catches up with former teammates to find out about their post-NBA lives, beginning with former Phoenix Suns teammate and current Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson.
“Charles is a larger than life personality and one of the most popular broadcasters in sports television. Our goal is to always offer the fan the most compelling video content across all our digital platforms and Charles is the perfect fit to lead the way for our playoff site with a channel of his own.,” said Bryan Perez, SVP and GM of NBA Digital.
The new playoff-centric design highlights the extensive video content available, including access directly from the homepage to hundreds of videos from five video channels — Highlights, Top Plays, NBA TV, TNT OverTime and The Barkley Zone, while the siteÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s main video page will continue to house the entire library of NBA.com videos.
In addition, NBA.com is also launching new playoff match-up pages that will make it easier than ever for fans to follow their favorite teams, with a page dedicated to providing news, highlights, press conferences, stats and video previews to the next game from TNT and NBA TV analysts.
Other NBA.com playoffs highlights include:
– C Webb’s Fab Five: NBA TV’s Chris Webber will break down every NBA team to select the five best players of all time from that franchise on a new webisode series. NBA.com will debut the series during the NBA Playoffs, and fans can react to Webber’s selections on the site’s Fan Voice section.
– The Rashad Report: EmmyÃ‚Â® award-winning sportscaster and NBA TV Fan Night host Ahmad Rashad hits the road with a video camera in hand to take fans behind-the-scenes for rare access to the NBA with footage from locker rooms, shootarounds and hotels.
– Team-based playoff email newsletters: fans can sign up for team-specific newsletters with highlights, postgame interviews and studio analysis that they will receive in their inbox the morning after their team plays.
– On-site video reporting at every game: field producers and reporters will continuously file video reports on both game and off days, bringing fans the most up-to-date, inside scoop on every matchup.
– Online game recaps and look-aheads featuring TNT and NBA TV studio and game analysts.
NBA Digital is a landmark partnership between the NBA and Turner Sports to jointly manage the NBA’s digital assets, which include NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA League Pass, NBADLeague.com and WNBA.com.
Turner Sports, a division of Turner Broadcasting, Inc., presents some of the best and most popular sporting events worldwide and is a leader in televised and online sports programming. With events airing on TBS and TNT, Turner Sports’ line-up includes NASCAR and NASCAR.COM, the NBA, Major League Baseball, professional golf, PGATour.com and PGA.com. Turner Sports and the NBA also jointly manage NBA Digital, which includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA League Pass, NBADLeague.com and WNBA.com.