Messenger Day allows users to curate photos and videos in a single destination and choose who to share their Messenger Day creations with and, just like Snapchat, everything disappears after 24 hours.
Head of product for Messenger Stan Chudnovsky announced the launch of Messenger Day in a Newsroom post, saying that more than 5,000 frames, effects and stickers are available for use, and emphasizing that users have complete control over who sees their content:
Of course it’s up to you if you want to share your day with everyone you talk to in Messenger or just your closest friends and family. You can customize how you share by tapping the “more” icon and then choosing “Everyone Except” or “Custom.” If you share something to your day that you decide you want to take down, just tap the image at the top of your inbox, and then tap the three dots at the bottom-right-hand corner of your image and select “Delete.”
Chudnovsky also provided a guide for Messenger users looking to get started with Messenger Day:
- First make sure you’ve updated your Messenger application so you have the latest version.
- Open Messenger, and tap on the camera highlighted with a sun to celebrate this launch. Doing so drops you right into the full-screen camera. Or, tap the “Add to your day” button at the top of your inbox to get started.
- Snap a quick selfie or take a photo or video of what’s around you.
- To add art and effects, tap the smiley face icon in the top right and then tap to add to your photo or video. You can also add text over your images by tapping the “Aa” icon, and you can overlay a drawing by tapping the squiggly line in the top-right corner.
- Once you have your photo or video the way you want it, tap the arrow in the bottom-right corner. You can then add directly to your day, save it to your phone’s camera roll, and/or you can choose to send it to a specific person or group of people. The photo or video that you add to your day will be viewable for 24 hours.
- You can also add to your day from a conversation you’re having with a friend or group of people. After you send a photo or video, you’ll see the option to “add to your day.” Simply tap that text, and you’ll be asked to confirm you’d like to add it to your day.
- While you’re messaging with someone, you’ll see if they have anything new from their day, too.