To help keep users ever more in-the-know, Twitter recently rolled out mobile notifications that provide personalized recommendations for accounts to follow and tweets to check out. The new builds on super-popular Twitter account @MagicRecs, which started as an experimental project and has now reached full-fledged cult status by sending instant, personalized recommendations for users via DM.
Now you can send me direct msgs to share feedback or customize your recs! Send "hi" or "help" to start. More info https://t.co/jvs0lAaO2d
— Magic Recs (@MagicRecs) October 31, 2013
To start receiving recommendations, all you have to do is follow the @MagicRecs account. If you want to stop receiving recommendations, just unfollow.
– “Hi”, “hello”, or “hey” will prompt @MagicRecs to respond with a greeting.
– “Help” will return a DM list of available actions.
– “Tweets on/off” will turn on or off recommendations for specific tweets the bot thinks you may find interesting.
– “Users on/off” will enable or disable @MagicRecs from sending you recommendations of users it thinks you will enjoy following.
– “Good” tells @MagicRecs that you like the recommendations it’s sending.
– “Bad” tells @MagicRecs that you do not enjoy your personalized recommendations.
Note that the interactions only work via DM, not tweet.