Evidently, you’re nobody these days unless you’re hawking something on one of those hypnotic home shopping networks. Come on, confess: Who hasn’t bought something that just happened to catch their eye while flipping through the channels looking for Bravo’s wacky Housewives? I chatted with no less than four folks in Michael’s dining room today who have taken to the airwaves to sell ‘style at a price’ to the fashion obsessed right in their living rooms. First, my good pal Dr. Robi Ludwig arrived with her sister Ramy glittering in head to toe bling. I always love how Robi puts herself together for her many television appearances on LX TV and the Today show. That woman really knows how to accessorize! When I complimented her on the stunning gold bib necklace she was wearing, she told me: “It’s from Stefani Greenfield’s line on HSN!”
When Stefani showed up a few minutes later ladden down with gold, I asked her about the necklace and she reported that none other than Barbara Walters has worn it too. “But not in surgery,” she quipped.
When I wrapped up my chat with Robi, who is jumping ship from QVC to shopnbc where she’ll be expanding her own jewelry line, I stopped by to say hello to Glamour editrix Cindi Leive and designer Liz Lange, who are also part of HSN growing stable of clotheshorses. Read on for more dish about their respective collections.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd
1. New York Social Diary‘s David Patrick Columbia (in seersucker!) presiding over a table of elegant gals and a bespectacled gent.
2. Author Michael Gross and Maer Roshan. Michael’s latest, Rogue’s Gallery, about the politics and posturing behind the scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is now out in paperback in case you’re looking for a good (and juicy!) beach read.
3. Glamour editrix Cindi Leive and designer Liz Lange. I congratulated Liz on her new line for HSN, Completely Me by Liz Lange, which sold out during its debut a few weeks back (The next show is scheduled for July so get those credit cards ready!). Seems that Glamour is jumping into the home shopping ring with a line of costume jewelry as reported in today’s Wall Street Journal. The piece also reports that the magazine is partnering with Match.com to help its readers find Mr. Right. Impressive.
4. Esther Newberg with a gentleman who was attacking his fries with great gusto.
5. Herb Siegel with an elegantly dressed pal.
6. Gerry Byrne and two other distinguished gents
8. Abernathy & MacGregor’s Jim Abernathy and Lisa Birnbach
9. Today show contributor and savvy shopper Judy Gordon
11. Time Inc. Style & Entertainment Group’s editor Martha Nelson
12. Public relations maven Harriet Weintraub with a few fab fashionistas.
14. Showtime’s main man Matt Blank
15. Peter Price
16. Robi Ludwig, her sister Ramy, and Stefani Greenfield.
17. Avenue’s grand dame Judy Price
18. The perennially best dressed Randy Jones, who didn’t disappoint today with his three piece suit, eye-catching purple striped tie, and matching pocket square. His lunch companion, Phoenix House founder Dr. Mitchell Rosenthal, looked almost as dapper in his summer poplin.
20. Ladies who lunch: literary agent Frederica Friedman and Betsy Perry (Nice to finally meet you!) who were tres chic in their summer sheaths.
21. CBS News’ David Poltrack
22. Nancy Lynn
23. John Redpath
24. Jack Myers
25. Conde Nast’s David Carey
27. Money talks — and talks! Harold Ford, Jr. with CNBC’s Squawk Box anchor Joe Kernen.
29. BCG’s John Rose
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.