Since many of you are tiring of the Gannon/Guckert mess, here’s a quick overview of Howard Kurtz’s article this morning on the latest developments:
- Biggest News Item: There are now naked pictures involved.
- Dumbest Quote: Wonkette: “obviously pictures of naked people are titillating.”
Runner-Up: Also Wonkette: “I’d like to be able to go to the White House briefing room, and I haven’t even posed naked — just been asked.”
- Biggest Word: unexpurgated, as in “[John] Aravosis posted the pictures with strategically placed gray boxes, although he provided links to the unexpurgated versions.”
- Saddest Truth: “[Washington is] a town where Deep Throat conjures images not of a porn star but of a man in a parking garage.”
- Saddest Image: The mob of Kossacks attacking and beating Guckert’s elderly mother. “The Gannon ‘scandal’ would be laughable, were it not for the fact that Gannon’s personal privacy has been invaded and his mother, in her 70s, had to endure harassing telephone calls from those on the political left trying to dig up dirt,” said Cliff Kincaid of the conservative group Accuracy in Media.
- Nail in Coffin: Kurtz reports that a Delaware paper found the Guckert failed to pay more than $20,700 in income tax in the early 1990s.
- Conversation We’d Most Like To Overhear: Kurtz notes that Scott McClellan said he briefly discussed the issue with President Bush.