UPI’s iconoclastic Helen Thomas made waves earlier this week with her comments to The Hill’s Al Eisele where she said she’d kill herself if Dick Cheney ran for president. “The day I say Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I’ll kill myself. All we need is one more liar,” she told him. Drudge got ahold of her words and yadda yadda yadda, they were more fodder for the right’s “vast left-wing media conspiracy.”
She, in turn, has been furious with Eisele and the Hill–evidently she didn’t know she was on the record at the time! She thought she and Al were just “talking.” Eisele lays out the situation, and even rises to Thomas’ defense a bit in his column this week.
The whole misunderstanding reminded us, though, of some of the other recent things that Helen Thomas said when she didn’t realize she was on the record. Hence, we present “The Top Ten Things Helen Thomas Said This Week Mistakenly ‘On The Record'”**:
- “I’ll tear Ken Herman in two if he brings tuna fish sandwiches into the briefing room again.”
- “Scott McClellan has the nicest ass–which is great because he is one!”
- “If I have to sit next to Terry Moran one more time sucking in his Chanel No. 5, I’m gonna go postal.”
- “Karl Rove can be my turd blossom anyday.”
- “The day I say Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I’ll kill myself.”
- “Guess what, Scott? I just saved a ton on my car insurance.”
- “Wolf, quick ‘do, dump, or marry’: Dana Bash, Suzanne Malveaux, and Norah O’Donnell!”
- “I’ve got your ‘Thank You, Mr. President’ right here!”
- “I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.”
- “If Ed Klein‘s right, I’d like to be in the front row of Hillary Clinton‘s briefing, if you know what I mean.”
** Not all quotes guaranteed to be real.