HBO’s Game of Thrones returned this weekend, and millions of people were talking about it through social media. According to Synthesio, a global social intelligence platform, the character most people were talking about was Jon Snow.
Here’s a breakdown of the most popular characters, in terms of social mentions:
- Jon Snow – 21.6 percent of all online mentions
- Tyrion Lannister – 18.2 percent
- Daenerys Targaryen – 16.3 percent
- Cersei Lannister – 15.1 percent
- Jaime Lannister – 10.1 percent
- Brienne of Tarth – 5.7 percent
- Arya Stark – 4.9 percent
- Sensa Stark – 4.2 percent
- Jorah Mormont – 2.8 percent
- Theon Greyjoy – 1.0 percent
Other findings from Synthesio:
Top 5 Countries:
- United States – 21.7 percent of all online mentions
- United Kingdom – 4.0 percent
- France – 3.1 percent
- Canada – 2.1 percent
- Spain – 1.0 percent
Top 5 Cities:
- New York – 1.5 percent of all online mentions
- Toronto – 0.9 percent
- Seattle – 0.7 percent
- Los Angeles– 0.7 percent
- Mumbai – 0.6 percent
Synthesio also found that 58 percent of mentions about the premiere came from men; 42 percent from women. 86.5 percent of the mentions were in English, 5.2 percent Spanish, 3.4 percent French, 1.7 percent Portuguese, 0.8 percent Swedish.
Here’s a look at some of the top terms discussed:
Leah Pope, vice president of global marketing at Synthesio, discussed the social chatter around the Game of Thrones Season 5 premiere:
Game of Thrones is clearly one of the most buzzed about television shows today, and as the data proves, it’s a global phenomenon. Using our global Social Intelligence platform, it was interesting to see just how many different places were talking about the premier. For example, despite the US being the dominant country for all online buzz, only three of the top five cities that were driving all of the online mentions last night were US cities.
Readers: Did you watch the season premiere?
Top image courtesy of the Game of Thrones Facebook page.