Writer/director Jim Mendiola has an impressive list of credentials, including awards for his film, Pretty Vacant, about a Sex Pistols obsessed Chicana punk rocker. He’s now working on other equally impressive projects — including the new, hilariously named blog, Ken Burns Hates Mexicans.
He took some time out of his travel schedule today to answer a few of our patently stupid questions:
1.What newspapers do you read? LAT, NYT, San Antonio Express News (online)
2.Which ones do you move your lips to while reading? Any George Will column.
3. Which Web sites (aside from Fishbowl LA, of course) are on your favorites bookmark?
thinkprogress, crooks and liars, john august screenwriting blog, hasta los gatos quieren zapatos, jeff chang’s can’t stop won’t stop, status ain’t hood, Daniel Hernandez, defamer.com,
4. Where do you get your car washed? Outside on the street when it rains.
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? I think it’s Jeff.
6. Do you believe newspapers are going to die? If so, when? I hope not. i like reading them at the Starbucks in the Lucy’s on sunset. And on planes. I like that they don’t need batteries.
7. What was the last book you read? Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll’s Legendary Neighborhood.
8. What’s the last book you say you read?
Roberto Bolano’s Last Night on Earth. But I’m just not finished with it yet. I swear.
9. If you got a unicorn what would you name it? Ralph Malph.
10. What does you TiVo think about you? What’s up with not erasing those Spurs games?
11. Character of fiction you most resemble? Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby. Except I’m Mexican.
12. Who plays you in your bio-pic? Benjamin Bratt.
13. Do you floss? No.
14. Did you ever believe your toys come alive when you leave the room? Do you still? No.
15. How many old cell phones do you own? One.
16. Best show legendary biz/movie star encounter? Tim Gunn from Project Runway. I saw him in the lobby of the Standard, downtown. He could not have been nicer. I told him he should run for president. He laughed and did not think I was weird.
17. Do you get satellite radio? No.
18. And as a follow do you “get” satellite radio? No. But I would like to hear the show Joan Jett hosts.
19. Do you read the Enquirer/InTouch/Us/People? Oh yeah.
20. Do you lie about it? Hello! They are spread out like a fan on my coffee table.
FBLA 20 Questions